Everyday for the past 2 weeks, all day long, I hear, "Mom, I'm hungry". I can feed her a full meal and she says she's full and then an hour later she's at it again. At first I thought maybe she was just thirsty and confusing it with hunger so I started making her drink more throughout the day, but it hasn't made a difference. I can't keep up with her. She goes through snacks, ie: crackers, fruit snacks, apples, oranges, carrots, cheese, yogurts, bread (toast), cooked peas, cooked corn, so fast that I don't know what to buy and what to do. I am fresh out of ideas for her. I'm hoping this is just a growth spurt and things will calm down in a bit. It's not like she's big either, the girl is only 33 lbs and will be 4 next week. That means she's only in the 25% for weight. Maybe she just has a ridiculous metabolism like her father. Any way, by the end of the day I'm SO tired of hearing how hungry she is that I feel like pulling my hair out. When I tell her that maybe she's NOT hungry her reply is always, "Mom, people have to eat and if I'm hungry than I need to eat!" I hope I don't give her a food complex, goodness!
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
"Mom, I'm hungry"
Everyday for the past 2 weeks, all day long, I hear, "Mom, I'm hungry". I can feed her a full meal and she says she's full and then an hour later she's at it again. At first I thought maybe she was just thirsty and confusing it with hunger so I started making her drink more throughout the day, but it hasn't made a difference. I can't keep up with her. She goes through snacks, ie: crackers, fruit snacks, apples, oranges, carrots, cheese, yogurts, bread (toast), cooked peas, cooked corn, so fast that I don't know what to buy and what to do. I am fresh out of ideas for her. I'm hoping this is just a growth spurt and things will calm down in a bit. It's not like she's big either, the girl is only 33 lbs and will be 4 next week. That means she's only in the 25% for weight. Maybe she just has a ridiculous metabolism like her father. Any way, by the end of the day I'm SO tired of hearing how hungry she is that I feel like pulling my hair out. When I tell her that maybe she's NOT hungry her reply is always, "Mom, people have to eat and if I'm hungry than I need to eat!" I hope I don't give her a food complex, goodness!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
AMEN!!! i'm so with you on this one. addi eats more than me. it's ridiculous and exhausting.
My boys don't eat much. they are picky! At least she's eating healthy- those are great things that she likes!
Leave some food on the table. She'll Eat as much as she needs. Just remove them about an hour before dinner time. Crackers, carrots. You can also get her a shelf in the fridge where she gets her own food like cut up apples, yogurt and cheese slices. Then she learns indepenence and you get some peace
Sierra (my 4 year old, 50th percentile) goes through growth spurts like this. Sedona (the 18 month old, 10th-25th percentile) eats CONSTANTLY, every day. She eats more than me (literally) every day. We leave food out. For my older one, we will put a tupperware type box in the pantry and one in the fridge and stock them with serving sizes of different foods. She is allowed to get whatever she wants out of the box when she wants it. It keeps her from filling up on one thing---we get to pick what's in the box, she gets to pick when she eats it and how much of it she eats. Her fridge box might have a baggie of cheese cubes, a baggie of grapes, a yogurt cup, an applesauce cup, some carrot sticks, etc... the pantry box will have wheat thins, goldfish, banana bread, a little cup of peanut butter, granola bar, dried fruit, etc... All of that is in addition to meals. We just restocked the boxes every evening. She was happier having a little control and I was happier not having to deal with it. It also avoided any "eating because I get attention for eating so much" issues that cropped up every once in a while. It was no big deal, she just got a snack when she needed one.
These are great ideas. Thank you! I will try it and report back as to how it work out. I never thought of doing those things.
I was that kids growing up! I was always hungry...I still am. :)
Post a Comment