Sunday, June 15, 2008

To the Fathers in our lives

This is a tribute to my husband and wonderful daddy to my children. Clint wks so hard for us! Even when it's supposed to be his day off he still helps me out with dinner, the kids and more. I truly don't know what I would do with out him. He is a great dad. Kaily tells me daily that she is going to marry her daddy and when she is super tired and wants some one to cuddle with, she calls for her dad. Conner loves to play with him, although he can't do much yet. I am so proud of Clint's determination to do what he feels his Father in Heaven would want him to do. He is a great example to me of service and hard work. I am grateful for his testimony that helps to strengthen mine daily. He gives himself far too little credit for the great man that he is and that just makes him greater.
Now a shout out to my Dad, I love you and am so thankful to you. It's no secret that I have always been a daddy's girl; I too wanted to marry my dad when I was little. Thank you dad for showing me how to cook and being my constant reference guide on "how to". I thank you for always working hard so we could have the things that we need, for being patient with me (even when I didn't deserve it) and for loving me always. Through your example you have taught me how to teach and lead. Thank you for your honoring the Priesthood and always being willing to give me a blessing when I needed it. thank you for being there for the birth of my children. Thank you for holding my hair when I puked and for staying up late all those nights just to watch the Nutcracker with me. Thank you for never telling me to be quiet and stop asking so many questions. Thank you for staying up late and listening to me go on and on about the latest boy in my life when I was younger.
A shout out to Clint's Dad, Clint will write this. I just want to tell him Thank you raising such a wonderful trustworthy, loyal son.
Clint here Hello To all, This here is my first time writing in this here blog... I have never felt myself much of a writer but I have been constrained by my wonderful wife to write a tribute to my loving father this late evening of fathers day. Dad I love you... I tried to call you today a couple of times but every time I called the line was busy. SO... I write to you now in hopes that you will read this. It has always been easier for me to express tender feelings in writing rather than in person, or over the phone. Dad I want you to know my love and the deep respect I have for you. Having two children of my own has granted me greater understanding of the sacrifices you have made for the nine children you have. Dad I have Many favorite memories of you that have taught me great lessons through out my life. It is not so much of what you have said, but more of what you have done which has meant the most to me.
Dad, you may not remember the dark stormy night in Hyder, I was about 3-4 years of age... Mom was on her way home from Buckeye. The power to the Leavitt House we lived in was out. As we were retiring to bed, you were having fun telling ghost stories in the dark. It was then that you scared the hell out of me grabbing my belly. I cried and you must of felt terrible, you then took me into you arms to comfort me. You carried me into the kitchen, lit some candles and poured me a bowl of rice crispies, you also put a few banana slices into it. I loved it... My first candle light dinner. Another occasion when you demonstrated a fatherly role is the time the car died out in the middle of the desert we all had to walk a couple of miles back to the house. You carried me most of the way on your back (very symbolic). My arms were around your neck and my feet... a foot in each of your back pockets. You were skinner then and your pants were probably hanging half way down your backside. I rode on your back watching Aaron shoot a stick from a bow made with bailing wire. It was shortly after that that we moved to Tacna... That is where I have the great three wheeler experience... The one where I left you in the jojoba Field... I ended flipping the three wheeler in the wash up by the shop... Thank you for not beating me to bad for that... It was shortly there after we moved to Show low. There I have a great memory of a hike up Show Low creek one winter. I was wearing my little red snow boots, they are often called moon boots. I remember your warning to not walk to far out onto the ice... but being the curious little boy that I was I did not heed your warning. I thought I was light enough to walk up to the edge of it, after all it was really neat seeing the water flowing underneath me through the clear ice. I fell through. I remember screaming... You came for me... Of all the sweet memories this is one of my favorites... I was very cold and wet, yet you still sat me on your lap. You took off my red boots and warmed my feet in your gentle loving big hands, and again carried me to safety. I remember very well in Snowflake the night I burned my arm with hot grease while frying frozen corn tortillas... Mom bandaged my blistering arm up with the aloe, but the pain was still severe. I couldn't sleep because it hurt so much. The burns you have had in your life time I'm sure have given you an understanding of pain. You understood how I felt. you took me in your arms and again, dad, you took your big gentle hands and placed them on my head and gave me a priesthood blessing. I will be forever grateful for having you as a father, and forever grateful that you have shown by example the priesthood in action. In so many ways you are to me a leader and a man who has so many Christ-like qualities. I see in so many ways the masters image in your countenance. Dad I could go on and on about the love you have shown by example to me, my brothers, sisters, and to my mother. Father, Thank you so much for loving us and taking part in our lives. With the way the world is today there are some pretty crappy dads out there. With the knowledge you have of the gospel of Jesus Christ and the time you have dedicated to it. You are Precious Priceless and rare. Dad I know you are in a time of pain, with all that has been happening to you. I know you are depressed, tired and you want to give up. Dad I want you to know that I hate to see you miserable. I want what is best for you just as you want what is best for all of us kids. Dad you have endured much... I see it in your eyes... You can't hide your hurting... I am sorry for many of the things I have put you through... I have often been a sorry excuse for a son. You have heard "what goes around comes around" I'm getting whats coming to me. Karen gave me a gift today. A book called "The Race" sub-titled Life's Greatest Lesson by Dee Groberg. In it is a sweet poem. As I read it I started crying because it reminds me of my father cheering me on in the race of life. I want to finish first, I want my father to be proud. I want to honor his name. In so doing I have often fallen on my face and have come short of the glory. Dad I'm going to have to send it to you. Again what goes around comes around. Dad you have always been there to cheer me on, cheer me up. You could make me laugh when no one else could. Your love for me is understood. Dad you are my hero. A champion unique. A fine example of a life of service, but it is not over yet. You are getting old its true, but your race is not finished, life is not finished with you. Pick yourself up from the depths of despair. You still have more to give. Get up dad; finish the race. It does not matter to me if you win first place or come in dead last. You are a winner and I will love you forever.
Love your Son Clinton

1 comment:

Kemp Family said...

Thank you Karen for your kind words. It means a lot to me. As a dad, I always wonder what I could or should have done to be a better father and husband. It's nice to know I didn't blow it too bad. I love you and am so proud of all you do and your beautiful family. Clint is really special and I'm glad he is part of your family and ours. His tribute to his father was very touching. Thanks for a great fathers day.