Friday, August 29, 2008

I am Thankful

I have been thinking tonight about the many things that Clint and I have been blessed with. I do this every so often to remind myself that it doesn't matter what I don't have b/c I have been given so much already. So many times I think we (including myself and I say we b/c i know I'm not the only one) take things for granted and focus on what we want rather than what we have. Sure, there are things I would love to afford like rugs to go in my bathroom so I don't have to use a towel on my floor, or a "new" used car or a dishwasher. While Clint is in school we have lived meagerly and I have gotten used to doing without. Please know I'm not at all trying to complain, I'm just stating facts. So, with out going on and on I would just like to say some things that I am very thankful for.
  1. A righteous wonderful husband who loves his family and tries to do his best at whatever he does
  2. Two beautiful children
  3. Temples
  4. A warm home to live in
  5. the gospel
  6. A good education
  7. Freedom
  8. I get to vote and be apart of gov't if only a little
  9. Love
  10. The atonement, the allows everything to become everything, including me
  11. Faith, my own and others
  12. My parents and in-laws
  13. Learning, always and forever
  14. Trials, b/c they make you stronger
  15. Mountains, they make me feel at home
  16. Running, and exercise in general
  17. Electricity
  18. My car, it may be falling apart, but at least I still have one and it wks (most of the time)
  19. My body
  20. My mind
  21. Pictures
  22. PBS Kids, Kaily loves it and I can get things done. (I know mom of the year)
  23. Washer and Dryers
  24. My mission
  25. Clint's mission
  26. old friends
  27. art
  28. nature
  29. The smell of my Dad
  30. My brothers and their families

Each month I want to be able to list 30 new things that I am thankful for. There is so much out there and so much that we really do have if we just take the time to look. The "other" stuff, the stuff that you don't have yet...well, I don't know about you, but that is what we have dreams for. Something to wk towards, a goal. I may not have everything I want, but I certainly have everything I need right now.

Gratitude and the Holy Ghost

"You could have an experience with the gift of the Holy Ghost today. You could begin a private prayer with thanks. You could start to count your blessings, and then pause for a moment. If you exercise faith, and with the gift of the Holy Ghost, you will find that memories of other blessings will flood into your mind. If you begin to express gratitude for each of them, your prayer may take a little longer than usual. Remembrance will come. And so will gratitude." Henry B. Eyring, "Remembrance and Gratitude," Ensign, Nov. 1989, 13

7 comments:

Angelica's Family Adventures said...

I'm so with you on the Holy Ghost. I love and always try to listen to the amazing promptings. Great Post!

The Hills said...

Being another "student spouse", I'm SOOOOOO with you on learning to appreciate what we have and let go of what we want (at least most of the time and at least for now). I gotta tell you----I also dream of bathroom rugs and retiring the worn out towels that do the job for now ;-) Oh, and actual "grown up" furniture instead of mixed up hand me downs. For now I appreciate that the hand me downs are available and I have a floor to put towels on :-)

MM said...

Karen,

I am just so thankful for your blog! You're a great mom and I love seeing your beautiful children and all the wonderful things you are. I wish the world had more moms like you. Keep it up girl!

Cathy said...

Thank you! I soooo needed to hear that tonight. Thanks for your example to me. You are an amazing woman!

Laurie said...

It's so easy to forget all the wonderful blessings in our lives and focus on the things that in the long run don't matter. This is such a great idea. Thanks for helping me remember to focus on the important things.

smilingsarahbear said...

Great post Karen! Thanks for the quote. Tell Clint I said good luck and pray a lot. He'll do great. I so admire the sacrifices you guys are making to provide for your family and be a stay at home mom. It's hard but so worth it! Love you guys!

Kemp Family said...

Oh, I'm so proud of my daughter and her family. I don't know what I would do without them. They set so many examples, even for me. They have given me wonderful grandchildren, who I love with all my heart. I'm grateful every day for a daughter; "a son is a son until he takes a wife, but a daughter is a daughter for the rest of your life". She gives me so much; a shoulder to cry on, an ear to hear my complaints, a smile to brighten my day, a giggle to cheer me up, and a blog to keep me informed and entertained. Thanks Karen, I love you. I'm grateful for Clint. He's a great father and husband. I know he loves his family and will give all he has to fulfill their dreams. He's a wonderful son-in-law, and we are so proud of him. Thanks for all you do for us.