Wednesday, August 5, 2009

?Private, yes or no?

This week I have read on 5 different people's blogs that they are going Private. This has made me a bit paranoid, so I'm asking all of you out there that read my blog your opinion. Those that have gone private and those that haven't, I would like to know why and why not. Thanks for your feed back, I appreciate it.

7 comments:

Logan & Lindy said...

I find comfort in my blog being private. There are just soo many creeps in the world! But at the same time alot of people I would love to connect with cant find me because I am private. I dunno I like that I am private. But a tuff one!

The Hills said...

I thought your's was private??

Mine's public, but I only post things I don't mind being public information (there is much more detail on facebook, where I have everything limited to "friends only"). I also track where I'm getting hits from and how long they read. I don't have a random following at all......I know everyone who actually reads (I get a few click thrus where they were doing a google search and clicked, but didn't stay on the page). If I started to get a bigger following, I'd go with a more public persona and less detailed information.

Stephanie said...

AHHH!! Someone just stole my personal info and booked me on a trip with Sri Lankan Airlines. Did the info come from my blog? Probably not. Just really unlucky! Or maybe I should just go to Sri Lanka for the month??? Where's Sri Lanka?

Angelica's Family Adventures said...

I didn't think I would but when I was really looking at where people were viewing from & didn't know anyone in that state it started to make me nervious. Plus with all the people listing the blogs they view I just didn't know who was clicking onto mine from another, plus it protects those I list. While I didn't list my last name, where we live, plus I'm not in the phonebook, I find that I feel much safer, like in FB. Good luck on the choice.

AnnCP said...

If you do - please invite me! My oldest started a blog, and she had followers immediately so she went private - she has four boys - go figure. If you stay public, don't put where you live, last names and anything personal that you want no one to ever read. At some point it all comes back to you!

Good luck on your decision.

MM said...

We're private, just a paranoid and careful father. Wouldn't want someone not "knowing" us to know so much about my kids. I had a friend who used to be public have a stranger leave a ookie message on her blog about one of her kids and that did it for me. It's really not a problem. Originally I coded my family each with an acronym of a nickname of theirs to protect them but we decided that wasn't enough.

stef j. said...

i'm not into private blogging, but then again, my blog isn't intended to be private. meaning the content isn't intended to be private.

are there creeps out there? yes.
do some of them look at my blog? probably. don't know.

i track my blog. i know how many visitors i get a day. i know that i have know idea who a lot of those people are. (sitemeter.com, google analytics...)

but it's my blog. and i choose to not live in fear of the world around me.

and i want people to read my blog. though i don't post gospel centered info. every day, i hope someone would stumble upon our little happy family and learn a little something about what makes us happy.

and i like meeting people. i've met over a dozen people via blog ... never met them in person.

yada yada ... for our situation, anti-private blogging doesn't fit. :)